Other Books in Series
This is book number 4 in the Charles Lenox Mysteries series.
- #1: A Beautiful Blue Death: The First Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #1) (Paperback): $9.99
- #2: The September Society (Charles Lenox Mysteries #2) (Paperback): $17.99
- #3: The Fleet Street Murders (Charles Lenox Mysteries #3) (Paperback): $16.99
- #5: A Burial at Sea: A Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #5) (Paperback): $16.99
- #6: A Death in the Small Hours: A Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #6) (Paperback): $17.99
- #7: An Old Betrayal (Charles Lenox Mysteries #7) (Compact Disc): $59.99
- #8: The Laws of Murder: A Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #8) (Paperback): $17.99
- #9: Home by Nightfall: A Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #9) (Paperback): $16.99
- #10: The Inheritance: A Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #10) (Paperback): $16.99
- #11: The Woman in the Water: A Prequel to the Charles Lenox Series (Charles Lenox Mysteries #11) (Paperback): $17.99
- #12: The Vanishing Man: A Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #12) (Paperback): $17.99
- #13: The Last Passenger: A Charles Lenox Mystery (Charles Lenox Mysteries #13) (CD-Audio): $39.99
In this enthralling mystery, detective Charles Lenox tries to resist the lure of a case and focus on his new career in Parliament.
Returning from a continental honeymoon with his new wife, Lady Jane, Lenox is asked by a colleague in Parliament to consult in the murder of a footman, bludgeoned to death with a brick. His investigation uncovers some unsettling facts about the family he served and a strange, second identity that the footman himself cultivated.
Going into the boxing clubs and public houses, the Mayfair mansions and servants' quarters of Victorian London, Lenox gradually realizes that an old friend may be implicated in the footman's death. Soon a suspect is arrested, but Lenox has his doubts. Desperately trying to balance the opening of Parliament and what he feels sure is a dark secret surrounding the murder, he soon discovers that the killer is someone seemingly beyond suspicion, and may be prepared to spill blood again—even a detective's.
About the Author
Charles Finch is the USA Today bestselling author of the Charles Lenox historical mysteries, which begin with A Beautiful Blue Death. His contemporary novel The Last Enchantments, is also available from St. Martin's Press.
Finch received the 2017 Nona Balakian Citation Award, for excellence in reviewing, from the National Book Critics Circle. His essays and criticism have appeared in the New York Times, Slate, Washington Post, and elsewhere. He lives in Los Angeles.
“An absolute delight . . . Finch vividly brings 1860s London to life.” —USA Today
“Readers of Anne Perry should be snatching up Finch's books and clamoring for more.” —Library Journal (starred review)
“Perfect for fans of Lord Peter Wimsey.” —The Wichita Eagle
“A beguiling Victorian mystery.” —Marilyn Stasio, The New York Times Book Review on The Fleet Street Murders
“The best sort of historical mystery--clever, charming, full of period detail, and a delight to read.” —David Liss, author of The Devil's Company, on A Beautiful Blue Death