History of Bali: A Captivating Guide to Balinese History and the Impact This Island Has Had on the History of Indonesia and Southeast A (Hardcover)
Discover the magic of the Indonesian island of Bali in this captivating book on its history, from the origins of Bali's geological formation until modern times.
Bali is known as "the Island of the Gods," with its tens of thousands of temples and shrines dating back more than a millennium to the exotic Indianized empires of Java that influenced Bali greatly. Although it bore witness to the ancient Maritime Silk Road of Southeast Asia, Bali mysteriously avoided complete domination by ocean traders and European colonizers until as late as the 20th century.
Bali is visited today by millions of international tourists, not only for its magnificent beaches and lush, tropical scenery but also as a living monument of an ancient cultural past. The Balinese of today adhere faithfully to the unique Balinese Hinduism of their island paradise and continue following traditions and art forms that were brought to its shores by their ancestors thousands of years ago.
In this book, you will learn:
- How the island of Bali was home to paleolithic humankind
- Why Bali's Asian biodiversity and rich, fertile soils are not found on the neighboring islands
- What makes up the unique human heritage of indigenous Balinese
- How the island retained its endemic Balinese Hinduism despite 1,300 years of Muslim influence
- From where and from whom the Balinese learned their abundant skills in metalworking, crafting, sculpture, and art
- How art and ritual offerings form the basis of Balinese life, from where the island draws its name
- How it was that the island nation of Bali was not interested in seafaring and maritime trade
- Insight into the Balinese pride in being the true ancestors of the collapsed Javanese Indianized Majapahit Empire
- How this gentle, peaceful island consistently evaded total domination by foreign powers and curiously repelled colonialists for much of its history
- And much more
Scroll up and click the "add to cart" button to learn more about the History of Bali